Just recently we created a new Group (which you can see here) and this feature / functionality is a powerful tool for us here on The Pub.
Example Groups might be…
- Geographic (like a San Francisco, Silicon Valley Group…)
- Interests or Hobby-specific
- Specific Investment Groups (“Special Purpose Vehicles” anyone…?!)
- Completely Random Groups…
But, to put a new Group together you have to spend a bit of time administratively giving me the right information:
- Group Name (no spaces, same as the
- Full Name
- Group Description
Then, you have to decide on the following settings for the group (as the leader or leadership team):
- Can users join the group freely (or is it invite-only)?
- Can users leave the group freely?
- Can users send membership requests to group owners?
- Will this be the `primary’ group of a user?
- Who can
@mentionthis group (Nobody, Group Members, or Everyone)?
- Who can
messagethis group (Nobody, Group Members, or Everyone)?
And then finally you’ll need:
- A Default Title for all users in the group
- Avatar Flair Image (optional, but highly encouraged)
- Avatar Flair Background Color (optional, hex color value needed)
I can then take all of this information and then magically create a new Group for you!
Here’s what it looks like in the backend (using the Bloggers Group as an example):
Got it? Good. I’m looking forward to seeing folks put together these Groups and use them for greatness!