Research: EOS is not a blockchain, it’s a glorified cloud computing service

eos
cloudcomputing
whiteblock

One is a full blown attack on a network, which is nearly impossible. The other is a feature built right in for the privileged few. How on earth is that even remotely comparable?

There is no difference between the two. A full blown attack = a feature of blockchains built right in for the privileged few. At the end of the day all blockchains are democracies that hand more votes to people with more money. Cardano, Bitcoin and Ethereum are no different than EOS in that sense.

I agree that it would take longer to mine a completely different chain up to the latest block sure - but not impossible.

One thing I’m not sure on however is how whether or not normal PoS chains can just have blocks reversed instantly as well like eos if enough people want it. I’m pretty sure they can - if I’m right on this than cardano and every pos chain falls under the same attacks you have against eos.

…they’re intrinsically complete opposites. One is a malicious attack by a bad actor. The other is an intentional feature for the privileged few. Saying they’re the same thing is like saying that consensual sex is the same as rape, because they have the same outcome. It defies basic rationale.

Anyway, I’m moving on. Pretty pointless to continue this, as we can’t agree on even the basic building blocks.

All good though. Life goes on. :slight_smile:

The other is an intentional feature for the privileged few

A small group of entities having enough hashing power = small group of entities having enough coins. Both are the privileged few.

Whether or not either are malicious is opinionated. EOS BPs freezing scamming accounts and returning funds can be considered good.

The other is an intentional feature for the privileged few.

Do you know whether or not this same feature is a feature of all PoS chains? I.E. If I have the majority of the coins on cardano - can I immediately reverse transactions like an EOS BP?

To my knowledge, this is specific to EOS, and the main reason why EOS is so controversial.

There’s a lot of variance between different types of PoS and dPoS models, which is why some of EOS’s issues aren’t as prevalent on platforms like Ark or Lisk.

Also curious to see how Cardano handles a lot of these issues. EOS is a dPoS, where as Cardano is PoS with optional dPoS. Things often sound great in theory, but who knows what will happen once Shelly is actually implemented.

Thank you Nathan_D

Blockchains vs. Hashgraphs

Blockchain and Hashgraph data structures.

Blockchain Technology

Blockchains are one form of distributed ledger technology. Not all distributed ledgers employ a chain of blocks to provide a secure and valid distributed consensus.

A blockchain is distributed across and managed by peer-to-peer networks. Since it is a distributed ledger, it can exist without a centralized authority or server managing it, and its data quality can be maintained by database replication and computational trust.

However, the structure of the blockchain makes it distinct from other kinds of distributed ledgers. Data on a blockchain is grouped together and organized in blocks. The blocks are then linked to one another and secured using cryptography.

A blockchain is essentially a continuously growing list of records. Its append-only structure only allows addition of data to the database: altering or deleting previously entered data on earlier blocks is impossible. Blockchain technology is therefore well-suited for recording events, managing records, processing transactions, tracing assets, and voting.

Cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, pioneered blockchain technology. Bitcoin’s big rally in late 2017, and the ensuing media frenzy, brought cryptocurrencies into the mainstream public imagination. Governments, businesses, economists and enthusiasts are now considering ways to apply blockchain technology to other uses.

Blockchain Structure.

Hashgraph Technology

Hashgraphs are also a form of distributed ledger technology.

A hashgraph is a patented algorithm that promises the benefits of the blockchain (decentralization, distribution, and security through the use of hashing) without the drawback of low transaction speed. It was created by Leemon Baird and is the intellectual property of the Swirlds Corporation, which Baird founded.

While Bitcoin allows for approximately 5 transactions per second and Ethereum allows for approximately 15 transactions per second, a hashgraph can process thousands of transactions per second.

The hashgraph algorithm operates through two techniques: Gossip about Gossip, and Virtual Voting.

To understand Gossip about Gossip, imagine five members: A, B, C, D, and E. Each member starts with a transaction, which results in an ‘event’. Then, each member calls another randomly selected member and the two share their transaction history. For example, D calls B and shares D’s transaction history with B. This type of call happens repeatedly, with each member randomly calling another member and sharing its transaction history. So, B now randomly selects another member (let’s say C), and shares its transaction history, which includes D’s transaction history. Simultaneously, E may have called A, and so on. Each call results in an event, and each event holds the hashes of all previous blocks.So, once a member learns about a new piece of information, this information quickly spreads until everyone knows of it.

Virtual voting aims to reach a consensus on the order of transactions. Here’s how it works: first, the events are divided into rounds. The hashgraph algorithm has a definite mathematical answer for when a round is created. Here, for the sake of simplicity, imagine that a round has approximately ten events. Now, each member votes to determine which event should qualify as a ‘famous witness’. To understand how this happens, imagine that each of the members with an event in the next round looks backwards to each event in the current round to see if it can trace its lineage back to the current round’s event. If it can trace its lineage back to an event, it votes yes for that event, and if not, it votes no. The current round event with the most votes is crowned the famous witness for the current round, and provides the definitive order of transactions.

Hashgraph Structure.

Private and Public

Both hashgraphs and blockchains can exist in public form or in permissioned private forms for enterprise use. Anyone can participate in the public open versions of these technologies. While several public blockchains such as Ethereum exist, the only public version of a hashgraph is called Hedera Hashgraph.

Open Source vs. Patented

Blockchain technology is mostly open source and has a huge community that builds and contributes to various blockchain efforts, from cryptocurrencies to utility tokens. Additionally, blockchain enthusiasts have generally doubted the trustworthiness of traditional institutions, and played up the decentralized nature of blockchains as their defining quality.

On the other hand, hashgraphs are based on a patented algorithm that is owned by Swirlds, and therefore any new hashgraph initiative will rely on Swirlds.

It shouldn’t be that controversial if it is the case seeing as how the chain is completely transparent. Every edit can be seen by every user of eos.

If EOS planned on having privacy features like Ethereum then I would have been worries about something like that interfering with immutability.

Unless they delete something… not to mention nothing is cryptographically validated

What does transparency have to do with being controversial? Controversy is the result of ethical uncertainty.

Side note, that Chinese rating system for crypto rated EOS as #1. Definitely shows how EOS is either a “love it or hate it” project. It’s like the new BCH. :slight_smile:

Ethical uncertainty in EOS diminishes when people remember that the whole chain is transparent.

Why are you ignoring my replies lmao

Your argument about them deleting transactions is also wrong. They can’t delete transactions that are stored on your hard drive. You will be able to easily see they have deleted a transaction.

Basically just a whole video on debating the definition of a blockchain. Here’s a different definition:

Here is the definition of a blockchain by google:

a digital ledger in which transactions made in bitcoin or another cryptocurrency are recorded chronologically and publicly.

Which EOS offers.

If we have different definitions of a blockhain there’s no point arguing

Google? Not when i google it… it says…

A blockchain, originally block chain, is a growing list of records, called blocks, which are linked using cryptography. Each block contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data. By design, a blockchain is resistant to modification of the data.Wikipedia

which is completely different than EOS

blockchains are not interrelated exclusively to crypto-currencies either that definition is made up
Example:

Have you still not read this?

I read it and it doesn’t resonate as true with me…

HAVEN’T YOU READ:

but that is 25 pages, you likely don’t have time for that since your so convinced otherwise…

Who am I though right? I only have a Masters degree in CS- IT Management-Software and Databases
I don’t know anything

As state in Ethereum is cryptograph-ically determined by instantiation in the form of PatriciaMerkle Tree data structures, smart contracts are the compu-tational logic components that result in state changes [23]. InEthereum transactions, state transitions result in cryptograph-ically validated changes to the underlying composition of theblockchain state as can be discerned through the changes to
the Patricia Merkle Tree data structure. Conversely, trans-actions in EOS result mainly in changes to the underlyingdatabase, rather than cryptographically verified state changesto an underlying blockchain data structure like Ethereum. In EOS the communication model results indata being invoked through the client to eventually beingprocessed byNodeos[4]. All of these actions operate inan environment that lacks cryptographic validation of thecontracts and transactions. Additionally there is no economicincentive mechanism that is enforced to facilitate properexecution in the system. This interaction offers services of atraditional computing environment with no cryptoeconomicsystem, as will be discussed in Section IV. Because EOSis built utilizing WASM in the context of normal databasearchitecture, there are no substantial differences betweenEOS and what is expected in a traditional client/serverarchitecture

In EOS, when ABIs are generated to allow JSON-Binaryconversion, the code that is processed relies on specifyingthe serialization/interface for interaction between humanreadable JSON and machine readable binary and does notexhibit the peer-to-peer characteristics of smart contractson the blockchain. Alternatively, in Ethereum transactions,smart contract code is replicated by all nodes in the EthereumVirtual Machine (EVM) to preserve the validity of the codeand to ensure consistency, which contributes to the practi-cal immutability of the contract and peer-to-peer execution[13]. How smart contracts are compiled in the EVM isvastly different from the way WASM is interpreted in EOSas WASM is used for generalized computing and EVMbytecode pertains to blockchain computing. This distinction points further to the dynamic that EOS does not necessarilyimplement a blockchain platform, though rather a general-ized computing platform. In EOS, contracts are specifically modifiable and historical compositions of contracts can be altered. This model for contracts is effective for the command and control system architectures you would expect in a distributed database, not a blockchain

EOS is a blockchain. It just depends on your definition of one. EOS suites the definition laid out by google. It really isn’t any more complicated than that.

This debate has been pretty useless.

If we have different definitions of a blockhain there’s no point arguing

Here’s another definition:

1. A growing list of records, grouped into blocks
  2. Blocks are linked using cryptography
  3. Each block contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data
  4. Transactions and blocks are validated by multiple independent devices who reach agreement via a consensus mechanism

These are all true in EOS.

The EOS.IO software requires every transaction to include part of the hash of a recent block header. This hash serves two purposes:

• prevents a replay of a transaction on forks that do not include the referenced block; and
  • signals the network that a particular user and their stake are on a specific fork.

Over time all users end up directly confirming the blockchain which makes it [impossible to “replay” their transactions] to forge counterfeit chains as the counterfeit would not be able to migrate transactions from the legitimate chain.

Those guys couldn’t even get EOS’ TPS right lmao.