ETC on 3gb cards?

So up until the past 2 days I have been mining ETC on Nvidia 1060 3gb cards to Hodl for Calypso however both rigs with 1060 3gb cards have stopped working on ETC saying they are not able to create the DAG file for the cards?

I have already made sure the Virtual Memory on both rigs are over 16 Gb.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The memory for each individual card is what counts for loading the DAG file, as each individual GPU has to load the file to hash anything. The DAG’s size has been over 2gb for a while and it has probably gotten large enough to where your 3gb cards won’t load it, most likely nothing wrong with your cards or rig, just the cards are too outdated for mining ETC or ETH
The ETC DAG looks like it’s about 2.39gb so even tho it’s technically under the 3gb each you are running
But most devices aren’t perfect and can’t untilize every last drop of internal RAM

Can check this link here at the bottom if you want to see the size files for other coins you can swap too, but I would if I were you try to resell them asap on eBay, and until they sell mine one of these other coins

https://investoon.com/tools/dag_size

yep it’s been said since time ago 3gb cards will be useless for Eth mining due to memory limitations.

Thats why 8gb AMDs and 11 gb Nvidias are popular, more future proof.

This isn’t completely true though. 3gb will work for atleast another year on ETH and then 6gb will get us through something like 2021 long after the card is no longer valid. This is why many stated that the extra price for the 8gb and 11gb was not worth it.

On the forums here it is stated that the ETC DAG size is always bigger than ETH and have a link to a DAG size calculator. At work so not able to check it out.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2175739.0

for the $30 of difference either in cryptomining and for gaming resale, they are very well worth it IMO :grinning:

Well looks like both my 3gb rigs will be pointed to something other than ETC/ETH from now on. Was just trying to bank up some more ETC before the new chain is blocked in. They have always been on Zec/Zen/Zcl/Hush before. I had stopped mining Eth based coins on them when ETH difficulty spiked.

I originally got 3Gb cards because they were DIRT cheap back when I picked them up. They have easily doubled if not tripled the ROI so I am not too worried about what they mine now anyways.

I am in the same boat as you as the vast majority of my cards are the 1060 3gb’s.