Build Your Own ASIC Miner

Well thanks for that nice picture of my country :slight_smile: I’m only an IT
technician, got some basic coding skilss and can build simple electronic
projects, I’m not graduated or something, is fashinating reading the
developing of the project, like a brainstorming… btw i know a guy here
saying he can build some kinda board with gpu chips and he uses thise
things for mining, he is a young engineer but bigmouth too maybe so I’ll
see if I can ask him something… I will happily help with branding,
founding funders for cash… I think all together we can do everything…
Mining should be homebased not in big warehouses with millions in hardware

I have also been following this thread for more than a week now to see if this is possible. I have been in software for the past 20 years. Mostly higher level programming an architecture, but some lower level stuff and some raspberry pi and arduino as well. I would love to see if there is a way I can contrib. Alibaba has plenty of ads for bitmain’s but most look sketchy to me.

I love crypto, mining, and business. However, I’m disappointed in my experience with purchasing from Bitmain because of their poor customer service and the fact that part of my order was returned to sender, and they are asking for an exorbitant amount of money for my order to be reshipped. Should I file a complaint against them with the Federal Trade Commission?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Hi Everyone,

I think this project looks promising so if I can be of any help with below topics please let me know.

• Web space, domain names, hosting etc. (Amsterdam Internet Exchange (AMS-IX))
• Rm-04 (if needed customized with OpenWRT and if needed with vpn client for securing the pool)
• I have equipment to rewrite flash memory, to do some SMD soldiering if chips need to be replaced.
• Have several servers in datacentres and locally.

So I think I can say i love to join this project.

Hi,

Just read yout thread. It is very interesting. I was reading some news on bitcoin com in their blog section. Its in spanish att first but if you scrool down it is in english.

It was talking about a loss/hack of information of their old servers.

Here is a copy paste of the article

"the Bitcoin price broke new all-time highs this year, there has been an increase in the number of fraud attempts targeting Antminer buyers.

Although most of these attempts fail, there have been reports of some users falling prey to these scams.

We are even more concerned for our users since one of our old servers containing our users’ information was compromised by unknown attackers last week. This could mean that you may be contacted by impostors who pretend to be Bitmain’s official representative or Bitmain’s reseller to get payment from you for Antminers that they cannot and will not deliver.

Please remember:

We do not have any official distributor or reseller anywhere
We receive various queries about whether X or Y is an “official distributor” or “official partner” of Bitmain’s products simply because X or Y claims to be an “official distributor” or “official partner” of Bitmain. We have no official representatives or distributors in any country. This brings us to the following point.

We only sell on bitmain . com
Even if a Bitmain executive wanted to order an Antminer, he or she has to place the order on shop.bitmain.com. There is no other way of ordering hardware from Bitmain. We will never send you an invoice on Skype or using a Gmail email address, both of which have been used by impostors to scam Antminer buyers before."

I would check before sending what they ask.

Great information @Browning thanks for joining us to bring us this information.

Hey there, what an interesting discussion is going on here! I would love to be part of the group to create a miner. I could add business/IT/finance experience to the table. I am from Lithuania.

Hi I’m new to this thread I believe I read something you posted about a Samsung s4 and can’t find it could you explain this further?

Hello guys, im a user from spain , im looking also to develop a miner with lower price , im professional criptocurrency trader, with an online bussiness high knowledge and pc technician, today im mining mainly lbry and its look like the next bitcoin coin in the future, mining that coin for over 5 months…

If any support is needed to this project , i leave u guys my email and phone. Cya cheers!

adiaz1991@hotmail.com / +34 678 85 59 04

Welcome, welcome, welcome, y’all! SO happy that you have joined us all here at thebitcoin.pub, the best place to learn about and discuss crypto currencies, tech news, and block chain technology :smiley:

I have been getting very excited about premined tokens as of lately (ICX). I am still interested in mining however, as the decentralized consensus protocol means so much to me. Thank you for your feedback about Bitmain, I have discovered many other negative experience stories with that company on cryptocompare.com (I always use that site for their mining calculators and to scope out mining equipment), and based on my own experience I will file a complaint against them ASAP.

I have been introducing crypto currency investing to my industrial engineer buddy who works at Amazon, so if we get a working prototype, he may be a sort of plug for streamlining our supply chain and manufacturing processes. I am still very dreamy and optimistic about this goal of creating our own ASIC miners, trying to share and bounce the idea off of as many minds as I can find, to any lending ear that will listen.

It could be that we all make enough money with our crypto investments by investing in ICX this year that we will have enough money to order some hardware and create our prototypes.

As for shopping list, I am considering:

ASIC chips
Controller board (somebody mentioned a raspberry Pi, could this work as the controller board?)
Silica box casing (just an idea, for light weight and resistance to high temps)

Does anybody else have any knowledge of essential hardware that will be needed to complete a DIY at home ASIC project?

Again, I have to expose myself and be transparent, I am not a computer engineer. I am a Geographer with a vision to distribute ASIC mining equipment to the masses, so that anyone and everyone can participate in this decentralized, consensus based, crypto economy through mining, as well as investing.

Thanks again for your interest and support :computer:

Could we also plan on 2PIC?

Thats nice in theory, but it doesnt work that way.

1. the timeline once you introduce this as an ICO kills the project before it starts, since the difficulty spikes with each block would make your miner obsolete before it hits production.

2. giving everyone an affordable ASIC would just spike the difficulty to a point where you would just need much more powerful hardware, making big manufactorers strangle hold on mining that much stronger.

3. this isnt a pocket calculator. these things need like 850W. the cost for the solar equipment needed would need to factor in.

the way to do this is small scale. quick turnaround, big profits.

ASIC miners profitability windows are REALLY short. thats why the cost and demand are so high, because if you get an early batch its making you 5-10X gauranteed. a late batch barely more then ROI.

with ASICs, you need to produce them quickly, roll them out quickly, get them mining quickly.

if you are really concerned about mining being a capitalitic, centralized venture then efforts are probably better spend backing proof of stake coins/projects and steps towards a bitcoin fork that is ASIC resistant.

I have a computer engineering background, with a lot of experience in hardware design at the RTL level. I’ve mainly worked with FPGAs. I’ve previously considered Siacoin mining with FPGAs.

Hey, thanks for your input here.

1. Okay, well I wonder how other coins have been successful doing this then. I think the chips can have different specs to mine different algorithms, similar to GPU’s, but can’t be changed afterwards.

2, Yeah, that is interesting about difficulty spiking. Bitmain says they are aware of Moore’s Law to continue innovating their chips and miner to stay profitable.

1. Yeah, the pocket calculator mining days are over eh, unless there is an ASIC proof Bitcoin fork as you say. I think renewable energies are gaining popularity though so maybe it could be cheaper to mine in the future, then difficulty increase comes of course, as it is a process of innovation after all.

I agree, small scale, quick turnaround, big profits.

Bitmain just updated their website it seems,

https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm?m=technicalSupport

Thanks for this info, man. I ordered 2 D3 Dash Antminers from Bitmain, so proof of stake was the plan, hehe. We could make DASH ASIC miners. Its cool because other coins use the same X11 algorithm too.

Ps. I just finished filing a complaint with the FTC against Bitmain. It is cool that they apparently helped a lot of people make a lot of money through mining, and they are supposed to make the best product in the ASIC crypto mining industry, but I still haven’t received mine and I feel scammed.

Hi there from Paris, France.
“They did not know it was impossible, so they did it”, Mark Twain.
I’m an IT engineer and I’m amazingly interested in this project.
For the fun, I wrote a miner in Python and in C.
Quite 4Mh/s.
I’m far from the 14 Th/s of the AntMiner.
But with a good team, we can beat them technically and economically.
If I can help, please LMK.
PS : sorry for my poor English, I’m from Paris, France …

Bonjour BSquad,

Bienvenue au Pub, de la Floride :slight_smile:

I have been thinking about the quote that you just shared with us too, as I do not have a professional IT background besides investing in cryptos. Am I so foolish as to think that I can do what many people are saying is impossible? I believe that is part of what it takes, the insanity of believing it is possible, plus research, and attempts through trial and error.

Ca c’est super que vous avez deja ecrit le code pour un miner de 4Mh/s. Felicitations! Ca a l’air que les Francaises ont un bon equipe de technologie comme ils vendent le Nano S aussi. Ainsi si on n’arrive pas a le 14Th/s, le 4Hh/s serait un bon model pour le hobby miner, moins cher :smiley: Combien de temps est-ce que ca a pris pour ecrire le code? Combien des euros est-ce que tu pense qu’un miner de 4Mh/s merite de valeur?

Oui, je suis d’accord, avec un bon equipe, une nouvelle organisation peut reussir et gagner aussi :+1:

Est-ce que vous savez qu’est-ce on doit faire avec un controller? Bitmain vend le controller a $60. On dois connecter les ASICs et le ventilatuer que on achete d’ailleur n’est-ce pas?

https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm?m=technicalSupport4

Merci pour joindre le discussion et le mission ici :grin:

Vous communiques bien en anglais, et je m’excuse pour des erreurs que je fait en ecrire francais, hehe.

A toute

Hello Florida,

Your French is far more better than my English.

It took me around 20h of coding to build the miner.
But it took me much more time to find the way, the rules and the protocol to make it.
There is no doc or book really clear.
Only pieces here and there.
And a lot of nonsenses.

Regarding the controller, I think so.
But I think it will be better not to buy at Bitmain.
As I understood, your yet in problem with them.

In team we trust :slight_smile:

We would be ready to invest in a first series if there is a running prototype. Our demand is currently about 4000 units for this year.

What are the necessary steps and how long will it take until we are able to have the proof of concept of this “new” miner?

Is there any investment required for finalizing a running prototype?

Good day BSquad,

Thank you sir. I’m happy that we can communicate :slight_smile:

Wow, 20h, you sound like quite the coder, BSquad :smiley: Sure, you did all of those countless hours of research to find a way to make it too, very nice. You know about the rules and protocol to make it, that is great :computer: science. I’m glad that you could sort through it all. Thanks again for joining the discussion here.

Yeah, you’re right, we probably shouldn’t buy our prototype controller from Bitmain. Do you have any ideas of where we can find a controller that looks and functions like that, or better? Are you familiar enough with ASIC hardware with how to specify that sort of controller to a vendor in writing or conversation?

Will something like this work if we plug a few ASICs into it?

http://www.asicontrols.com/var/hardware/7540/

Also, since you you have a decent code that works, does this need to then be programmed onto the ASIC’s chips somehow? Perhaps we could order some MPW (multi-project wafers) to experiment with.

Perhaps our last items are a fan (similar to the one on Bitmain, bigger or smaller depending on how our ASIC to controller design settles), a frame (light weight metal), and a power source (some members here said they had some old ones sitting around, but perhaps we need a specific kind depending on final design). We are conceptualizing a parts list here, but I suppose an engineer should check out how it all comes together for the best.