Bruce Ninety X : Daily Excerpts from the Tao of Jeet Kune Do

Did you know Bruce Lee was decentralized?

“To understand Jeet Kune Do, one ought to throw away all ideals, patterns, styles; in fact, he should throw away even the concepts of what is or isn’t ideal in Jeet Kune Do. Can you look at a situation without naming it? Naming it, making it a word, causes fear. It is indeed difficult to see the situation simply —our minds are very complex —and it is easy to teach one to be skillful, but it is difficult to teach him his own attitude.”

Day 1

“Approach Jeet Kune Do with the idea of mastering the will. Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life! Do not be concerned with your escaping safely —lay your life before him!”

Day 2

“The great mistake is to anticipate the outcome of the engagement; you ought not to be thinking of whether it ends in victory or in defeat. Let nature take its course, and your tools will strike at the right moment.” Bruce Lee

Day 3

“Jeet Kune Do teaches us not to look backward once the course is decided upon. It treats life and death indifferently.” Bruce Lee

Day 4

“Jeet Kune Do does not beat around the bush. It does not take winding detours. It follows a straight line to the objective. Simplicity is the shortest distance between two points.”
Bruce Lee

Day 5

“The art of Jeet Kune Do is simply to simplify. It is being oneself; it is reality in its “isness.” Thus, isness is the meaning —having freedom in its primary sense, not limited by attachments, confinements, partialization, complexities.”
Bruce Lee

Day 6

“Jeet Kune Do is the enlightenment. It is a way of life, a movement toward will power and control, though it ought to be enlightened by intuition.”
Bruce Lee

Day 7

“Punches and kicks are tools to kill the ego. The tools represent the force of intuitive or instinctive directness which, unlike the intellect or the complicated ego, does not divide itself, blocking its own freedom. The tools move onward without looking back or to the side.” Bruce Lee

I would have to say one of the best books I’ve read. It really soothes the soul.
Kudos to Bruce Lees Wife and Best Friend for putting all of his notes together!
Have you looked in Wing Chun?..amazing teachings and was the platform Bruce grew upon!!

Thanks for putting this up!!!

Bruce Lee was the Man!

Yes, I do know about Wing Chun. A good friend of mine is the practitioner of Jason Lau Wing Chun of Atlanta, GA. Never met anyone like him before. I was privileged to work along side of him almost every day for 5 years not as a disciple but as a business partner. Got woke doing so!

No doubt, I enjoy putting up these excerpts in the morning so we as a crypto nation can reflect on them all day!

Day 8

Bring the mind into sharp focus and make it alert so that it can immediately intuit truth, which is everywhere. The mind must be emancipated from old habits, prejudices, restrictive thought processes and even ordinary thought itself.

Day 9

Maturity does not mean to become a captive of conceptualization. It is the realization of what lies in our innermost selves.

Day 10

When there is freedom from mechanical conditioning, there is simplicity. Life is a relationship to the whole.

Day 11

Relationship is understanding. It is a process of self-revelation. Relationship is the mirror in which you discover yourself —to be is to be related.

Day 12

Knowledge is fixed in time, whereas, knowing is continual. Knowledge comes from a source, from an accumulation, from a conclusion, while knowing is a movement.

Day 13

To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the “old”, you derive security; from the “new”, you gain the flow.

Day 14

To realize freedom, the mind has to learn to look at life, which is a vast movement without the bondage of time, for freedom lies beyond the field of consciousness. Watch, but don’t stop and interpret, “I am free” —then you’re living in a memory of something that has gone. To understand and live now, everything of yesterday must die.

Day 15

When one is not expressing himself, he is not free. Thus, he begins to struggle and the struggle breeds methodical routine. Soon, he is doing his methodical routine as response rather than responding to what is.

Day 16

Freedom from knowing is death; then, you are living. Die inwardly of “pro” and “con.” There is no such thing as doing right or wrong when there is freedom.