#b90x - DAY 11 - Timebox all Things!

b90x

In software development we have found one of the most powerful ways to ensure productivity exists:

Timeboxing.

Timeboxing work allows us time to really focus on a certain task. Putting a time limit on work psychologically moves us to focus, limit distractions, and just get shit done!

We tend to drift. We tend to get distracted. This is fine when things aren’t on the line.

However, if you have goals to achieve, every. Single. Minute. Counts.

Tell us today, what are you doing? What can you timebox? What did you learn?

This is one of my more fundamental strategies to get work done. I timebox pretty much everything!

This incentivizes me to get work done and it forces me to minimize distraction. Even the smallest exercise here in time management can produce outsized results.

It took me a while to get this configured into a lifestyle but the payoff has been huge. So thankful for this super-pragmatic philosophy and tactic.

I’ve tried this before and didn’t follow through to keep it going. However I am going to start doing it again and stick with it through this B90X program. I seem to get frustrated with the use of my time because I have viewed it as “my time” and anything that requires some of my time is essentially “stealing” from me. I am changing my perspective around that. To accomplish anything, it takes time, so Ia m going to get intentional about how much time I am willing to spend to accomplish something and only spend the amount of time that I have pledged for that activity. I am now seeing time as a commodity that needs to be budgeted. Any successful business operates on a budget. So in order for me to be successful with whatever goals I am after, I am going to treat my time as part of my resources that I need to spend to get there (like money). I only want to spend my time on things that will pay back more than the cost (and rest is part of this).

I’ve recently been getting into google sheets/excel and time-boxing all of the things that I need to get done in order to keep facing the direction that I want to head in. I’ve found that I use to waste so much time without even realizing it. It brings much-needed perspective to how you’re spending and allocating your time, which is your most important resource.

I am the type of person who likes to keep to a schedule but I’ve never gone actually set a timer for my activities outside of a workout! I think it will really help me focus and plan ahead if I know what I’m doing, when I’m doing it and for how long.
Things I want to schedule from now on. Reading, creativity (drawing/writing), studying and decluttering. I think these are all things that can either you half do when your not on a schedule or you spend way too much time on when you could be focusing energy on something else. Going to try a few things this week and slowly add more.

That’s it! Keep experimenting on life. It’s fascinating how disciplined lifestyles are the most fun!

I have used things like pomodoro technique, and having a top 3 help start things, but so many times I go squirrel. I have time blocks some in the past. I think this is something I will work on in 1 week after the unpredictability of weather has passed.

I have been using this technique, but should be more consistent with it.
Logging and reviewing it so optimal length depending on the task can be found is a great idea!

Another concept close to this one is to "bookend "days. If you focus on a great start and shutdown of your day chances are the rest of your day will be pretty good too. :grinning:

Hell yes. Love this concept!

This is something I’ve always thought about doing for myself, because I usually am in between a part time job, freelance work, school, and/or working on a project for a friend or family member. The thing is I’ve just never actually set up a timer.

Unfortunately I got in a little late on todays bitcoin challenge so I will time box my evening today and I will also do it tomorrow, and hopefully turn it into a normal habit.

Today:

4:45-8:30 - Online Math Class
8:30-9:15 - Dinner
9:30-10:45 - Gym
11:30 - Lights out

Tomorrow:

7:30-9 breakfast/shower get ready
9-12:30 - Online Math Class
12:30-2:45 - Work on current freelance project)
3:30 - 7:30 - Work (teaching private music lessons)
8:30-9:30 - Dinner
9:45 -10:45 -Gym
11:30 - Lights out.

I often use this in blocks where I need to be productive. Especially in instructions or where I have concrete deadlines. It’s effective, at times. When it comes to creative work I feel this doesn’t help me when it comes to the details or motivation, sometimes I might not be inspired, and then I will have to free the creativity from constraints. However, it does help me to put a timeslot to where I can work on other things. My timeboxes are often loose but helps me with structure.

I learned about kanban the other day and was pretty inspired by this video

I plan my time by making a calendar with all that needs to be done work, bills, responsibilities, etc. I also set reminders for urgent tasks that will allow for a followup on where it stands. This keeps me accountable with my time and allows for me to better prepare for my short term future.

This topic of time box reminded me of this blog I stumbled upon sometime back.

Imagine there is a bank account that credits your account each morning with $86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day.
Every evening the bank deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the day. What would you do? Draw out every cent, of course?
Each of us has such a bank. It’s name is TIME.
Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds.
Every night it writes off as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to a good purpose.
It carries over no balance. It allows no over draft. Each day it opens a new account for you. Each night it burns the remains of the day.
If you fail to use the day’s deposits, the loss is yours. There is no drawing against "tomorrow."
You must live in the present on today’s deposits. Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness and success!
The clock is running!! Make the most of today.

To realise the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who failed a grade.

To realise the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.

To realise the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realise the value of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realise the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a person who just missed a train.

To realise the value of ONE SECOND, ask someone who just avoided an accident.

To realise the value of ONE MILLISECOND, ask the person who won a silver medal at the Olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with. And remember time waits for no one.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present.

Need to learn more about this…

One of the concepts I use when working with people is :money_with_wings: is :clock1030: in Paper Form.

Now we have Crypto as a leverage :hammer_and_wrench: Tool! TY for sharing your insights! :cowboy_hat_face:

Tweeted it out! ::Great Stuff::

I’ve been using an app call ATracker to track where all my time goes. I use Google Calendar to allocate time slots for certain tasks. I personally find it hard to keep up to the schedule. When I create a schedule for my day, I am always feeling great. But when it comes to following the schedules, it’s a pain in the back end. I’m gradually optimising how I should schedule the tasks, just so it becomes more realistic and easier to follow, but at the same time, I don’t want to significantly reduce the efficiency of using my time. So that’s still a WIP for me.

I like to keep a semi structured timebox with what I’m doing during the day. I wake up, I know what I need to get done and do those things, but there’s no X time for reading, or a hike, or working on my startup - they just take as long as they do and I try to be reasonable about how much time to spend on each thing. I am still doing the Reddit timebox though, so that is going well and freeing up time for more useful things.

So far this has worked fine, but I do foresee myself needing to timebox more in the future as I get closer to opening up shop and have more responsibilities. Moving forward, I’m going to be adding in more things slowly to timebox so I can get accustomed to that way of living.

I’ve just started ‘timeboxing’ a few days ago when @peter mentioned it one one of the earlier B90X and already its had a big effect. Unfortunately my productivity hasn’t just skyrocketed into the stratisphere but it has made me much more conscious of what I am doing with my time and has helped me stop myself from procrastinating and contributing to my wastage time.

I use a timeboxing method called “the Pomodoro technique”.

I do get distracted easily, so focusing at bursts of 25 minutes helps me tremendously.

I’ve been the most productive when I applied this process:

1. Every Sunday, set up a weekly to-do list on Wunderlist with a series of specific goals https://www.wunderlist.com/

2. At the end of each day, set up a daily to-do list on Wunderlist for the next day, based on the weekly goals.

• This list has a maximum of 4 objectives and one MIT (Most Important Task).
    • The MIT must be executed first.
  3. On Google Calendar I identify those time-frames that are occupied (appointments, eating, meal-prep, working out etc.)

4. I set up a finish marker: “I have to check the objectives on the to-do list before 17:00”. If I have an unaccomplished at this time, it will be carried over to the to-do list for the next day.

5. When I am in a “free” time-frame, I set up a “Pomodoro” and start working on the MIT. When the Pomodoro ends, if I feel that I’m in “the zone” I just continue work on what I am doing. On the contrary, if I feel excessively tired/distracted, I do take a five minutes break (up to fifteen minutes if I’m particularly tired), and then I set up another Pomodoro.

I’m able to quantify how much “Pomodoro” aka “focused time” I have spent on a task, disposing of enough data to set up realistic goals in the short term, day after day.

I have to say that when I don’t respect point four, I easily tend to go in a burnout.

This is a great technique, one of the best ways to fight procrastination

I’m going to apply this for reading and working on my side project